Campus Advocacy Resources & Education

24/7 CONFIDENTIAL 805-893-4613

About Our Services

  • How much do you charge?

    Our services are free!
  • What will the first appointment be like? What is advocacy?

    CARE Advocates are highly trained and certified professionals committed to responding to trauma with the highest quality service.

    In your first appointment, you can expect to receive an explanation of confidentiality and your rights, discuss how CARE can best support you, and be given the opportunity to disclose your experience at your own pace. Learn more about advocacy.

    We are a survivor-centered office. Together, you and your advocate will develop an individualized plan for moving forward. 
  • Who's eligible for services?

    We offer advocacy to any current UCSB student, staff, or faculty member. If you do not identify as any of those affiliations but feel like you might be eligible, please reach out to us at our email ( for non-urgent matters or our 24/7 advocacy line at 805-893-4613 for immediate assistance.
  • How are CARE services confidential?

    Communication with a CARE Advocate is legally protected and kept private. What you tell your advocate cannot be shared with anyone without your explicit written permission.

    Discussions with a CARE Advocate are confidential and privileged in cases of sexual assault and domestic violence. Under California law, "privileged" means that a relationship exists between the advocate and the client that protects communication from being shared with anyone outside of CARE, including if CARE receives a subpoena to share your information. Information shared with an advocate may be discussed among the CARE advocacy team and, at times, in consultation with the Interpersonal Violence Specialist at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), to ensure continuity of services and most effective response.

    The information you share will not be disclosed to anyone outside of this consultation team without your explicit permission, with these exceptions:

    A CARE advocate has reason to believe there may be an imminent risk of harm to you or others.

    Child, elder, or dependent adult abuse is suspected or disclosed. 

  • Is there an appointment limit?

    No. CARE does not have appointment limits and understands that healing is not linear. We will work with a survivor at their own pace on their unique path -- if services are not currently needed, a survivor may choose to come back to CARE at any time if needs arise.
  • Do I have to come to CARE if I've experienced interpersonal violence?

    No. CARE's approach to advocacy is centered on the unique needs of each survivor. An appointment with a confidential CARE Advocate can give you space to explore options. Together, you and your advocate would develop an individualized plan for moving forward.
  • I experienced interpersonal violence off-campus before I enrolled or started working at UCSB. Can I still use CARE services?

    Yes! Confidential support is available to any student, staff, or faculty member at UCSB regardless of when or where they experienced interpersonal violence. We can talk with you about resources that will support you during your time here at UCSB.
  • What if I'm not comfortable coming to the CARE locations at the Women's Center on campus or the Gaucho Support Center in Isla Vista

    We understand that you may have specific needs regarding appointment location, and we're happy to work with you to arrange an appointment in a confidential, safe location. If you prefer to meet elsewhere, please let us know when you make an appointment.
  • Can I request to work with a specific advocate?

    Yes! We strive to accommodate preferences based on your needs. [Time-sensitivity and limited availability of an advocate's schedule may result in working with another advocate.]
  • Do I have to talk about what happened/make a report/have documentation to receive services? How much detail do I need to share to receive services?

    We're a survivor-centered office. Our approach to advocacy is based in empowerment in order to give you space to explore options. Together, you and your advocate will develop an individualized plan for moving forward.

    You're welcome to disclose your experience at your own pace. You do not have to make a report or have documentation to receive CARE services.
  • I just want to talk to someone, and I don't want to file a report, or I'm not ready to decide if I want to report yet. Can I still get help?

    Yes! Regardless of whether you decide to file a report, CARE has many resources available to you. An appointment with a confidential CARE Advocate can give you space to explore options. Together, you and your advocate will develop an individualized plan for moving forward.
  • Can I bring a friend or support person to my appointment?

    Yes! You may bring a support person with you to your appointment. Your advocate will first want to speak with you privately so that you both can establish a safe and confidential space together for your advocacy needs. Then, your support person can be invited into the appointment if you wish.
  • I am part of a group of people who want to seek services with CARE, due to shared experiences with the same perpetrator. Can I make an appointment for all of us?

    Please reach out to us at our advocacy line at 805-893-4613 to consult with a confidential advocate about your needs. We strive to meet everyone's needs, but a group appointment does not provide the ideal space for addressing individual needs.
  • I'm a staff person or faculty member and I don't know if CARE's services are right for me.

    We welcome staff and faculty, and we are here for you.

    We acknowledge that our office may be perceived as for only students, and that staff and faculty may face barriers to accessing services. We want to address your needs so that we may be a resource for you. 

    For example, you may have concerns regarding appointment location. We will work with you to arrange an appointment in an alternate, confidential location. If you prefer to meet elsewhere, please let us know when you make an appointment.
  • I'm a survivor with intersecting identities and I don't know if CARE's services are right for me.

    We recognize that many survivors have experienced a lack of accessibility or trauma in educational settings, governmental systems, law enforcement, and the legal system. These experiences can cause survivors and their loved ones to feel distrustful of the institutions that are supposed to assist survivors in their healing journey. CARE ensures all survivors of our confidentiality and support. We believe you and we are here for you. Learn more about how we help different communities here.

If you're concerned about your friend, roommate, or significant other

  • What do I do if my friend or colleague has experienced interpersonal violence? Can I bring them to CARE?

    If they are in immediate danger or need immediate medical attention, call 911.

    If there is no immediate danger, let them know about our resources. It's possible that they may decide that now is not the right time to seek services. You can help them access us in the future by affirming the 24/7 availability of our advocacy line, or offering to call together or accompany them to an appointment. Respect their decision whether to seek assistance, even if it is different than what you would choose.

    When someone discloses an experience of interpersonal violence to you, they are showing that they trust you. Even if you don't know them that well, they still trust you with very personal and sensitive information about their lives.

    Our services are for support people, too. Learn more about how we help people who are supporting a survivor.

    University of California faculty and staff have a responsibility to report information they learn about instances of interpersonal violence to the Title IX office.

If you're a staff or faculty person, and are concerned about a student

  • A student told me about an experience of interpersonal violence. What do I do?

    Listen with empathy and believe. Let them know that they are not to blame. You can say something simple and supportive like "Thank you for telling me." Explain that you are not a confidential resource and that your role at UCSB makes you responsible to share information about potential policy violations related to interpersonal violence.

    Explain that "Based on what you shared with me, it's our policy that I call a confidential CARE Advocate who can best describe how they can support you and what to expect after I make my report." Call the 24/7 CARE advocacy line at 805-893-4613.

    Share other resources, located here.

    Uphold University reporting obligations.

    "Any University employee who is not a Confidential Resource and who receives, in the course of employment, information that a student (undergraduate, graduate, or professional) has suffered sexual violence, sexual harassment, or other prohibited behavior must promptly notify the Title IX Officer or designee." 
    This reporting obligation includes student employees.

    Report at Title IX's website or (805) 893-2701. 

    Under the Clery Act, anyone who has "significant responsibility for student and campus activities" is a Campus Security Authority and must submit a Crime and Incident Report. Faculty and clerical staff are not considered CSAs.
  • I received a disclosure about a student's experience of interpersonal violence from someone other than the student. What do I do?

    Indirect disclosures in overheard conversations, group discussions, and public awareness events do not require reporting to TIX or Clery, through the survivor has the right to initiate a report.

    Direct disclosures require that you call CARE, connect the student to resources, and uphold your reporting obligations to TIX and Clery. Please view the previous question for guidance.
  • Where can I get more information about being a responsible employee?

    You can contact UCSB's Title IX office for guidance and advice about how to fulfill your responsible employee obligations.