Non-Traditional Student Resource Center

Student Parents

Family Housing

Students with families can apply to live in one or two bedroom apartments located about a mile from the campus center. Non-traditional and extended families are also welcome to apply.

For more information, visit the UCSB Housing and Residential Services Family Student webpage.

Dependent Healthcare

Students who are UC SHIP  members may purchase benefits for their dependents as well.     

If you are not a UC SHIP member and do not have coverage for your dependents through private insurance, please contact the UCSB Social Workers Services to schedule an appointment by calling (805) 893-3087.

Undergraduate Student Priority Registration for Classes

Undergraduate students with young dependents (at least 50% of the time) are eligible to receive priority registration for classes. Applications are completed once for your entire term at UCSB.

Paper applications are available at both the Non-traditional Student Resource Center and the front desk of the Women’s Center. Forms can also be downloaded from the “Forms” tab.

Bridge Over Troubled Waters Emergency Fund

The Bridge Over Troubled Waters Fund was established in 2008 in honor of Sharon Hoshida, who dedicated her 35-year career at UCSB to gender, racial, and socioeconomic equality. This fund provides modest financial support to help cover rent, food, childcare of other basic needs on a temporary, emergency basis. To be eligible for this grant, you must:

  • Be a currently registered UCSB student (undergraduate or graduate)

  • Be a parent with at least part-time custody of your children

  • Not have received a Women’s Center emergency grant in the past 12 months

  • Form should be turned in to the Women's Center front desk

To apply, first contact Assistant Dean of Students and WGSE Director Kim Equinoa at (805) 893-3858 or to schedule an appointment.